Blitz Battle Rules
Note: These rules are not set in stone, nor are they meant to be punitive. The overriding principle of this document is to create a basic framework so that the league can function smoothly. To that effect, the Moderators will add and/or change rules as need be to improve the league.
I. Player Eligibility
- To be eligible as a player, you must have a Lichess account with an established Blitz rating and a minimum of 20 Blitz games played.
- Accounts which have been designated as cheaters by Lichess are ineligible to play (See section V. for cheating).
- Players must also be a member of the lichess4545 community. This blitz tournament is NOT open to those who are not a member the lichess4545 slack team.
- To register, players must complete the registration form once registrations opens (typically 1-2 hours before the start time).
- Players should join the #blitz-battle slack channel for announcements regarding registration, and to be updated once the pairings are released each round.
- The blitz-battle format will be as follows:
- 8 round Swiss
- Time control is 3+2 (3 minutes initial time with 2 second increment per move)
- All games must be rated games and played on Lichess.org
- For each game that a player wins they receive 1 point, for each draw they receive 0.5 points and for each loss they receive 0 points
- All games need to be completed prior to the start of the next round
- Pairings for each round will be released 2-3 minutes after the previous round and announced in the #blitz-battle channel
- Players are entitled to late-join the tournament
- If you late join you will receive one half point bye for each game you have missed up to 3 rounds total. [ie. If you join prior to round 2 you will receive 0.5 points. If you join prior to round 4 you will receive 1.5 points. If you join prior to round 6 you will still receive only 1.5 points.]
- In the event of an odd number of players one player each round will receive a full point bye.
III. Moderators and Tournament Director
- The League moderators are iebrian, seb32, somethingpretentious, wolf21, erinyu, sgis, kostasvl
- You can reach the moderators by sending them a message on Slack in the #blitz-battle channel or using the summon command (@chesster summon mods) in the #blitz-battle channel
- Moderators will make binding decisions regarding:
- Disputes between players
- Rule clarifications
- Any other issue of importance to the League as a whole
- For each blitz-battle tournament, one moderator will act as the tournament director (ideally this is a current moderator who is not playing in that tournament).
- The tournament director for the particular blitz-battle will solve all disputes. The TD is encouraged to consult other available moderators in deliberations.
- In the event of a dispute involving one of the Moderators, that Moderator will not have the power to decide the issue and will be left out of deliberations.
- When applicable, moderators will refer to the rules and regulations of the USCF and FIDE to resolve disputes.
IV. Game Play
- Once the pairings for a round have been released they will be announced in #blitz-battle and be visible on the website at https://www.lichess4545.com/blitzbattle/pairings/
- Each player should attempt to challenge their opponent on lichess
- This should occur within a few minutes after the pairings for the round are released
- Both players are responsible to ensure they are playing the correct time control (3+2) as well as the correct colors
- Please refer to the team rules and regulations (here) regarding "take-backs" and the "Claim Victory/Claim Draw" features
- Gamelinks and results should be picked up by @chesster and automatically posted to both #blitz-battle-games (the slack channel) and the website
- The TD will do their best to ensure gamelinks and results are posted and correct
- It is the players responsibility to notify the TD if any results are misreported
- If one player cannot make contact with their opponent, they must inform the current tournament director immediately
- The TD will attempt to provide a new pairing for the affected player if one is available.
- if a new pairing cannot be made, the player will receive a full point for the round.
V. Cheating Policy
- If you suspect someone of cheating, use the report button on Lichess as per the Lichess cheating policy: https://en.lichess.org/qa/258/all-about-cheating-questions-and-answers
- If someone is marked as a cheater on lichess, the mods will withdraw them from the tournament.
- All games of the cheater will be forfeited.
VI. Ultimate Power
- The moderators seek to ensure that the league continues to run smoothly and remains a positive experience for everyone involved.
- Players are encouraged to bring up any issues or potential improvements they might identify with a moderator.
- There is, however, no implied democracy in the administration of the league. Moderators have a final say in all matters.